Best of Cluj-Napoca

{gallery}Atractii_turistice/Piata_Muzeului/{/gallery}

The Central Square of the Old Fortress ("Óvár"), later also known as the Small Square, as opposed to the Large Square built around St Michael's Church, was the center of the medieval town. We still encounter relics of the old Roman town, brought to light by the archeologists.

The Franciscan Church (also known as "Barátok temploma" – "Monk's Church") guards the eastern side of the Square. Initially, there was an older church here, which was destroyed during the Tatar invasion (1241-1243), and later a church of the Dominican order, rebuilt in the gothic style in the 15th century. Held for a period of time by the Jesuits, in the 18th century the church was rebuilt by the Franciscans in the baroque style.

 

Category: EN Best of