Best of Cluj-Napoca

{gallery}Atractii_turistice/Biserici/Reformata_strada_Lupului/{/gallery}

The Reformed Church, on Strada Lupului (the Wolf Street), is a late gothic historical monument of religious architecture. The church was built in many stages, as a monastery for the Minorite – Franciscan monks, promted and suported by king Matia Corvinul, begining with the second half of the 15th century.

 

It has undergone many changes and modifications over time. At the middle of the 16th century it was taken over possession by the reformed believers. The church is the greatest gothic construction with a single nave (hall church) from Transylvania.

It has a wooden ceiling and pieces of rare beauty, among which the carved wooden pulpit, made in 1646 by Elias Nicolai from Sibiu and Benedek, a carver. It is made in the style of the Transylvanian Renaissance (Flower Renaissance).

The church imposes through its massiveness and through the dimension of the abutments, which give it the look of a fortress. Famous for its acousticts, it houses lots of organ concerts. In the southern part of the church are the ruins of the cloister, which functioned as a universitary college. Among those who studied there is Nicolae Patrascu, the son of Mihai Viteazu (Michael the Brave).

GPS:
 N: 46° 46' 05,2"
 E: 23° 35' 43,0"

 

Category: EN Best of